This program is open to high school students who are currently in their sophomore
or junior year AND have an interest in a career in healthcare. To be eligible for the
program, students need to have a 2.25 (on a 4.0 scale) high school GPA.
The Healthcare Careers Summer Academy (HCSA) provides students with an
opportunity to explore the many different careers in healthcare through lecture,
laboratory, and job shadowing experience.
• Observe and interact with healthcare providers in Sacramento and Yolo
• Learn about the history of healthcare and current trends in healthcare.
• Understand keys to college success and prepare for a career in the healthcare
• Learn basic medical terminology and procedures.
• Become certified in CPR and First Aid
For five weeks starting mid-June
Classes will be held from 9:00-1:30 with a lunch break
Sacramento City College and Field Trips to various health providers throughout
• You will earn 3 college credits and 10 high school credits.
• You will have the opportunity to meet many of the healthcare industry
leaders in the region.
• You will learn about jobs you never even dreamed existed in healthcare.
• Participation in HCSA will look great on your college applications and
• You will learn a lot, make new friends and have a lot of fun.
• YOU WILL SET A COURSE FOR YOUR FUTURE!!
The academy is free to you! All books, supplies and tuition will be provided at no
charge. You will be responsible for providing transportation to and from SCC and
other locations when required. Usually, the group will be transported in buses for
field trips. Students who successfully complete the Healthcare Careers Summer
Academy will receive a reward for their participation.